Question: Is there anything I can do to prepare my home for the upcoming winter months?
Answer: Yes, the following steps listed below are a solid start in preparing your home for winter and to help provide the protection and comfort you deserve. If you’ve had a home inspection recently with AmeriSpec, you’ll know all of our clients get a FREE digital home binder that includes handy maintenance reminders like some of the ones below. Don’t forget to check those off and customize any task for the seasons to come. When working with AmeriSpec, we make it simple! To learn more about AmeriSpec’s exclusive value-added offer, check out our blog or call our office, we’d be happy share how the digital home binder can help simplify taking care of your home! Now, on to the list:
- Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clear of debris and functioning properly.
- Check the roof and flashing around all surface projections (roof penetrations) and sidewalls (joints between roof and vertical services).
- Drain and winterize all outside faucets and the sprinkler system. Empty any water hoses, coil and store. YES, this includes detaching the hose from the spigot.
- Repair any damage to sidewalks, driveways, and steps before ice or snow makes them worse due to the freeze/thaw cycle.
- Make sure your chimney is clear of bird nests and leaves. Consider calling in a professional chimney sweep to remove soot and creosote.
- Check and repair any gaps in weather-stripping or caulk around doors and windows. Failure to do so could add up to 10% to your winter heating bill.
- Make sure doors and windows have no missing or loose glazing putty.
- Winterize the lawn mower and clean, sharpen and oil all metal gardening tools before storing. Make sure your snow removal tools are operational and ready to go (if applicable).
Follow this checklist inside your home:
- Consider having a professional inspect and service your furnace. We partner with several top notch, local service providers and would be happy to refer you. Also, be sure to replace the furnace filters and clean and adjust the humidifier (if applicable).
- Clean heating ducts, grills, and registers.
- Clean lint and any other debris out of dryer vents pipes.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide monitors as well as fire extinguishers.
- Reprogram your thermostat for the winter weather. Keeping your thermostat, no higher than 68 degrees when people are home will help control energy costs.
- Unclog slow running drains.
- Make sure bath and shower caulking is intact.
- If your home is not insulated or under-insulated, seriously consider sealing the air leakage pathways between the home and attic, and installing insulation in your attic to reduce drafts and heating costs. Not only will it give you a warm feeling knowing your home is in good shape for winter, you’ll probably feel cozier all-season long.
Don’t forget, AmeriSpec has been providing quality home inspections, radon testing, mold testing, termite inspections, pest control and locksmith services in the Omaha, Lincoln, Council Bluffs and surround area community for many years. We’re happy to assist with any needs from of our family of services. If you’d like to schedule a home inspection, or any of our other services, call us today. 402-393-3696
Do you have a question for our inspectors? Leave your comment below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On October 30, 2017
- 0 Comments