September 29, 2014
AmeriSpec joins battle against breast cancer
AmeriSpec Omaha and Lincoln is joining the AmeriSpec Corporate team in the battle against breast cancer in October.
AmeriSpec Omaha and Lincoln will donate $25 for each home inspection performed in October to the Susan G. Komen Nebraska office in Omaha and the American Cancer Society in Lincoln.
The American Cancer Society gives these 2014 estimates for breast cancer in the United States:
- About 232,600 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in women.
- About 62,500 new cases of carcinoma in situ (CIS) will be diagnosed (CIS is non-invasive and is the earliest form of breast cancer).
- About 40,000 women will die from breast cancer.
Her are some other key statistics on breast cancer from ACS:
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women, except for skin cancers.
- About 1 in 8 (12%) women in the U.S. will develop invasive breast cancer during their lifetime.
- Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, exceeded only by lung cancer. The chance that breast cancer will be responsible for a woman’s death is about 1 in 36 (about 3%).
- Death rates from breast cancer have been declining since about 1989, with larger decreases in women younger than 50. These decreases are believed to be the result of earlier detection through screening and increased awareness, as well as improved treatment.
- At this time there are more than 2.8 million breast cancer survivors in the United States. (This includes women still being treated and those who have completed treatment.)
Visit the American Cancer Society website to find more information on breast cancer treatment.